Onedrive – can't have an underscore in the file name.

Why Use CJ Tech Support? Forums 6. Computer and Network Tech Support Onedrive – can't have an underscore in the file name.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Wazza
    Keymaster

Onedrive: Can’t have an underscore in file name any more.

My client is stressing because the photos that she has taken wont backup to her onedrive account.These are important family photos and she needs to know that they are safe in the cloud, not just on her laptop.The problem that she is having is that the onedrive software client on her laptop has an error,

The file has a name not allowed in onedrive.

I went through all the published restrictions – characters: ” * : < > ? / \ | ~ ” # % & * { | }. Everything seemed to be OK. I counted the characters to make sure I haven’t gone over the 260 character limit, all good. But still unable to backup the files.

Then I found this little heading on a forum page: Can’t have an underscore in file name any more.WTF!!!

The latest client does NOT allow a file or folder name with an underscore. This is bad. The onedrive backup fails and stops when the files with underscores are detected. There is not fix for this, you either change every files name or don’t use onedrive.

There is an alternative that allows you to keep using onedrive and backup the files, just don’t use the onedrive client. Use my favorite backup and sync program “Allwaysync”

The Allwaysync program can synchronize the files from your hard drive with onedrive and include your files with the underscore. This program has saved my butt more than once and it gets me out of trouble again this time.

use allwaysync to upload to onedrive and the files upload with the _, no problem.

The onedrive client is the problem. Use allwaysync to upload to onedrive and the files upload with the underscore no problem. The other advantage I find from using Allwaysync is that I am not using any extra space on my local drive for storage and I can backup my network drives.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.